The “problem” of pain: Solved!
Many of those who deny God point to the “problem of pain.” In John 9:1-41, Jesus offers the fundamental answer to the faithful to the “problem of pain”:
- The “problem of pain” is a common weapon that those who deny God like to parade out to support their assertions that God does not exist. The argument suggests that because pain exists (and we all feel pain!), that 1) Either God created a world full of pain so God must not be a god worthy of belief, or 2) God doesn’t have the power or wisdom to deal the the awful scourge of pain in our world.
- For Christians, we believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that with the other Divine Persons of the Trinity (Father and Holy Spirit), God is all knowing, all powerful and all loving. God has perfect Dominion over all things, and as a result,God has made the world exactly as He wants it to be.
- But we are still left wondering: Why the heck would God allow so much suffering in the world?
- Jesus offers a clear answer in today’s Gospel to those who are willing to “see” when He heals the man born blind. He tells us: Jesus answered, “It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be made manifest in him” (John 9:3).
- Pain, and all other discomforts, are here to reveal the glory of God!
- We take this on faith, for Christ has told us this. But even more convincing, Jesus Christ has shown us this Truth: Pain and suffering, even the most cruel, sinful and unjust act of Eternity, the Crucifixion of Christ, can be used for the glory of God! Through Jesus Christ’s death and resurrection we are saved!
- God never allows an evil (such as pain) unless there is some magnificent good that comes about as a result.
While it is impossible for humans to fully understand the mysterious outpouring of God’s Grace through pain and suffering, we must take it on faith that Jesus Christ, the Divine Strategist has a plan; and it is very good.